Saturday 11 March 2017

OMG!!. I will no longer LOOK normal!.This can't be happening (By Jada Phillip)


"I wonder what people think of me when they see me? Will anyone ever except me for who I am? Will they ever look beyond my skin and see that what's inside is what really matters?.. I DON'T want to live like this anymore. I can't even LOOK at myself right now.
How can I Love others when I'm not even sure I love my own self!" I wish I could cover it up....I look so DIFFERENT!" cried a child with Vitiligo



A child with VITILIGO

What is VITILIGO?
Vitiligo (vit-ill-EYE-go) may be an auto immune disease. Its a disorder in which white patches of skin appear on different parts of the body. The immune system may destroy the melanocyte (ma-LAN-o-sites) that make pigment color in the skin. Vitiligo can also affect the mucous membranes (such as the tissue inside the mouth and nose) and the eye. The extent and rate of color loss is unpredictable and varies between patients. There are 2 types of vitiligo which are: Contact and Genetic


How does one get vitiligo?
The exact cause of the destruction of these cells is not known. Doctors and researchers have several different theories of what causes vitiligo, which are:
  • The immune system destroys the melanocytes
  • Sunburns
  • Stress
  • Exposure to harmful chemicals
  • Hereditary predisposition
Is it Life threatening?
Vitiligo isn't  contagious or fatal. 






What part(s) of the skin are affected by vitiligo?
The epidermal layer of the skin, especially the melanocytes.

How can it be prevented?

There is no cure for Vitiligo, if not hereditary in cases, can be prevented by:
  • Using sunscreens with a minimum sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 to protect your skin from the sun is always a healthy decision.
  •  Refraining from getting tattoos.
  • Avoiding Lysol products (hey contain chemicals that cause Vitiligo) 
  • Also emotional support is another important part of vitiligo therapy.
 Is it curable?
Though the condition has no other known effects on the body, the psychological and social effects are well documented. Today, vitiligo is a treatable condition, though treatment can take two years or longer to regain pigment, and depigmentation may not be 100%.

Did you know that these Celebrities have/had  VITILIGO?









Steve Martin



  




 Top Model Winnie Harlow           Micheal Jackson









A link to a video below of a child who has Vitiligo finally meeting her inspiration, Winnie Harlow who has the same condition as her..She's in for a Big surprise!!!
https://youtu.be/Zraf_rf1Qrw

"Its a condition not a life Changer" -Winnie Harlow
 




No comments:

Post a Comment