Thursday 27 April 2017

My Boyfriend Gave Me An STD?? - by Davita Isles

Image result for girl sitting on toilet in painAnnie sat on the toilet, exhausted after a 10 minute battle with herself. For the past 2 days she has been having a frequent and intense urge to urinate. “What is this…like my 5th time peeing for the day? And it’s only 9 a.m.”, she thought to herself.  However, unlike her previous experiences using the restroom, this time was different. She continued, “I spend all that time forcaying on the toilet just to hear two little drops of pee pee fall down? That making any sense? Why it burning like that nuh?” She pulled up her trousers and sat back unto the toilet. She started wondering about the cause of her problem. 

“But what that really going on with my body there nuh”, she asked herself. Then she gasped with dismay when the most dreadful conclusion struck her. “Jesus Christ! Please! Please don’t let this be what I think it is. My friends warned me about Tom. Papa bordiay please don’t tell me is that”, she cried. Now on the restroom floor, Annie busted out into tears, her face buried into the palms of her hands.  Annie was still a virgin when she had met Tom. Her friends had warned her about him by telling her about his promiscuous ways. They said that he was just like all the other boys their age; first claiming their love for you then leaving you heartbroken after they have gotten what they wanted.  Annie, however, thought that he was different from the rest. Tom said that he genuinely loved her and would never do anything to hurt her. All of that changed when she received a SnapChat picture from her friend showing Tom sitting awfully close to this random girl at the club last Saturday. That was the exact day after she had lost her virginity to Tom. She was hurt. How could he be cheating on her?

Image result for open bathroom doorThe bathroom door came swinging open. It was her mom. She sat on the tiles next to Annie and held her closely in a comforting hug. With a warm voice she spoke to her daughter, “What’s wrong Annie? Why are you crying?” Annie began crying even louder. After some time of comforting and sobbing Annie finally lifted her face up to look at her mother. Her face looked puzzled. She was really concerned as to why her daughter was in such a distressing state. “Mom”, Annie started, “Something is awfully wrong with me. For the past few days I’ve been having this feeling that I want to pee. I’ve been on the toilet over like 30 times in two days mom. Today I’ve been wanting to pee really badly, but when I get to the toilet nothing comes out and it burns so much. Mom, I’m really scared.” Her face was still red from crying. Her mother looked at her and asked “Is there something that you’ve been meaning to tell me Annie?” Annie took in a deep breath and said in a soft tone, “Tom and I did it”. Her mother’s voice suddenly possessed more bass. “So he did this to you?”
***
 “Miss Annie, would you like your mother to remain in the room”, inquired Dr. Charles. “Yes I would, she’s my mother. She needs to know what’s going on with me”, she replied. Dr Charles continued, “Well alright then. Annie I am going to ask you a series of questions and I need you to answer as honestly as possible. Annie gulped as she knew that this session could quickly go down hill.
***
Image result for male doctor and female patient“I would like you to go to the restroom and urinate in this cup. We’re going to do a urine analysis in order to determine what the cause of your problems is Miss Annie.”
***
On her way back from the restroom Annie noticed that the urine contained in the sample cup that she held was rather cloudy. The burning sensation in her pelvic region had returned and there was now a faint ache in her lower abdominal region. She handed Dr. Charles’ assistant the urine sample and then presented her new symptom to the doctor. He instantly noted it down.
Image result for UTI“I can assure you Miss Annie that you do not have any sexually transmitted infections or diseases.  However, your urine sample contained leukocytes which is commonly known as pus. As a result the urine possessed a cloudy appearance; this is a condition called pyuria. What you are currently struggling with is known as a UTI, a Urinary Tract Infection. Someway, somehow, a bacteria called Escherichia coli has found its way up your urethra and has been multiplying in your bladder. As a result you are experiencing all of these symptoms.  Luckily for you Miss Annie I have prescribed some antibiotics that will make your problem go away”, he said while handing Annie her prescription. Annie let out a sigh of relief as this was good news to her ears. She quickly glanced at her mother who looked rather upset about the entire situation. At that moment Annie knew that the ride back home was going to be a yelling affair as it pertains to her thinking that she had an STD. Why was she having unprotected sex at the age of 15 in the first place? Her mother trusted her enough to have a boyfriend, but this? This was taking her trust to a whole other level.

Dr Charles continued, “I would like for you to drink lots of fluids throughout the next 2 weeks – preferably 8 glasses of water a day. Also, if you aren’t already aware, after using the restroom please wipe from front to back. This will eradicate possible risks of getting an infection again. Please keep in mind, when you feel the urge to urinate use the restroom instead of trying to hold it in. And, I understand that you are sexually active?” Her mother sucked her teeth. Dr. Charles quickly looked at Mrs. Hill and then back at Annie and proceeded, “After having sexual intercourse I would advise that you urinate. This can help prevent the spread of fecal bacteria to the bladder." Annie nodded as she understood what was being said. At that moment, her phone started vibrating in her back pocket. It was Tom. He was blowing up her phone because he had not heard from her all day. "If he only knew what was going on right now, he would have never been so concerned about me", Annie thought to herself. She sighed. 
***
Annie raced in front of her mother after leaving the doctor’s office. She could hear the office door slamming after the exit of her mother. As she headed quickly into the vehicle, she could feel her mother glaring at her from behind. Their mother-daughter trip to the pharmacy was not going to be a pleasant one.

9 comments:

  1. Very well written my Vita..😄😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Vita 😊 well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent writing skills my child

    ReplyDelete
  4. You left me wanting more. Great job...I look forward to reading more of your work

    ReplyDelete
  5. My my my, amazing job! What happened next? Tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive work. Congrats to lecturer and student.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two in one: creative and educational. Teen language which all should learn from. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work. Great job cos and of course to your amazing lecturer.

    ReplyDelete